It’s Time for Your Yearly Air Conditioning Check Up
One of the best things you can do for your home’s air conditioning system is to maintain it properly. The average residential central AC runs as much as 3,300 hours every year. That is the equivalent of driving 214,000 miles in your car. While you’d never dream of driving a vehicle that long without regular maintenance, when it comes to air conditioners the same set of standards don’t seem to apply. In fact, many homeowners go years and years without ever tuning up their AC units. If this sounds like you, you could be wasting thousands of dollars a year by running a system that’s not running as efficiently as possible.
Maintain A Comfortable Temperature
With regular professional maintenance, your air conditioner will operate at or near its original factory performance for longer. This improved efficiency means that the unit doesn’t have to run as long or work as hard to maintain a comfortable temperature; this helps you save big time on utility costs and system repairs. A system that’s well-maintained – and not working harder than it needs to – will also last longer.
Yearly Tune-Ups Offer Other Savings
Besides greater energy efficiency and increased household utility savings, regular tune-ups can offer other savings, too. A professional technician who is tuning up your system will likely find minor problems like loose electrical connections or low coolant levels that can be fixed quickly and cheaply during the course of the check-up. If these small problems aren’t caught early, they can often lead to more serious and more expensive repairs down the road.
For example, if your AC unit is leaking refrigerant, a technician can fix the leak in just a few minutes for just a few dollars more than the charge for the tune-up. However, if that same leak is neglected or goes undetected for weeks or months, it can drain the refrigerant completely and burn out the air conditioner’s compressor. A new compressor can be very costly. Not only that, but a unit that’s leaking coolant doesn’t run as efficiently as it could so you’re likely to waste hundreds of dollars in energy costs until the problem is fixed.
What To Expect From Our Tune-Up
Your 21-Point Air Conditioning Precision Tune-Up and Professional Cleaning Includes:
- Calibrate and level thermostat
- Clean filters as needed
- Monitor volts/amps on fan motor
- Lubricate and inspect bearings for wear
- Clean indoor coil if accessible
- Flush/treat condensate drain with anti-algae
- Inspect condenser coil
- Monitor operating pressure of refrigerant
- Inspect safety devices for proper operation
- Inspect disconnect box for proper rating and installation
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Test/inspect contactors for burned, pitted contacts
- Inspect electrical system for exposed wiring
- Test and inspect capacitors
- Inspect fan blade
- Clean condenser coil and remove debris
- Inspect service valves for proper operation
- Measure temperature difference – supply/return
- Inspect duct work for energy loss
- Monitor compressor for proper amperage, volt draw & wiring connections
- Clean debris from around the condenser
Contact Horizon Services
While all HVAC equipment should be checked by a professional once a year, and an HVAC professional should always be called in to deal with major issues or repairs, you can extend the life of your HVAC system by taking just a few minutes each month to perform a few simple inspection and cleaning duties.
And, if you are ready to install or replace a heater or air conditioner our friendly and experienced team of Comfort Specialists know heating and air conditioning systems inside and out. They’ll take the time to study your home, understand your heating and cooling requirements, show you all of your options and assist you with finding the quality home comfort system that best meets your family’s needs and budget.
Additional Information from Horizon Services…
- Horizon Air Conditioning Services
- Horizon’s $89 Air Conditioning Tune-Up
- How do I Know Which HVAC System is Right for my Home?
- Is Your Home Suffering from Hot Flashes?