6 Typical Air Conditioner Problems With Possible Solutions
Central Air Conditioning is one of those things that you miss the most only have you don’t have it. This is especially true on the first few hot and humid spring and summer days when you first try to turn on your system and nothing happens! A typical central air conditioner will only last between 12 to 15 years, so if your AC unit is about this old you may want to start budgeting for a new one. However, before you call a professional HVAC technician here are six typical Air Conditioner problems with possible solutions:
Problem #1: Air Conditioner Won’t Turn On.
- Make sure the thermostat is set to “Cool” not “Heat” or “Off”.
- Be sure the thermostat is set below the current room temperature.
- Check the circuit breaker that controls the air conditioning unit and the one that controls the furnace. Reset any popped fuses or replace damaged ones. If the problem persists, call a professional HVAC technician to take a look.
- Turn all the switches around the cooling unit to the ‘on’ position, including the external safety switch. This is usually located on an outside wall next to the condenser.
- Check the overflow tray. Sometimes if there’s too much water in this tray the unit will automatically shut off.
- Check the blower door on the air handler; it should be closed securely.
Problem #2: Air Flow From The Cooling Vents Is Poor.
- Make sure the air filter is clean. Replace it or clean it if it’s dirty.
- Visually inspect ductwork to make sure everything’s properly connected. Check ducts in attics, crawlspaces, basements, and other hard to reach spots.
- Make sure registers in each room are open.
Problem #3: Air Conditioner Doesn’t Dehumidify Adequately.
- The only real solution to this problem is to replace your AC unit with one that’s properly sized for your home. A unit that’s not pulling moisture from the air is likely too large for your space. You could try increasing the load on the system by expanding ductwork into your garage, basement or attic.
Problem #4: Air Conditioner Doesn’t Dehumidify Adequately, And It Is The Right Size.
- If you know your AC unit is the right size for your home but you’ve still got excess moisture in the house, you may be dealing with excessive humidity caused by open windows, water leaks, or a lack of proper condensation drainage from the furnace’s evaporator coil.
- Ensure all windows are closed so humid air can’t get into your house.
- Make sure the drainage system is working.
- Boost dehumidifying power with a portable dehumidifier in areas that are particularly susceptible to excess moisture.
Problem #5: AC Doesn’t Provide Adequate Cooling With A Long “On” Cycle.
- If your compressor is running a long ‘on’ cycle but isn’t doing much in the way of cooling, it’s likely that the compressor is worn out and has lost the ability to process refrigerant effectively.
- Call a professional HVAC technician to take a look and probably replace the worn part.
Problem #6: Air Conditioner Runs A Very Short “On” Cycle.
- Make sure there’s nothing blocking the thermostat.
- Condensing fins that are bent, dirty or otherwise obstructed can interfere with the cooling cycle. Check the outside condensing unit and fix bent fins with a fin comb.
- Check the air filter and replace it if it’s dirty.
- Call a service technician to check the refrigerant charge, to look for refrigerant leaks, or to replace a condensing unit that’s too large for your home.
Contact Horizon Services
So, if you are ready to install or replace your home’s air conditioner or heater system, please contact Horizon Services. Our friendly and experienced team of Home Comfort Consultants knows air conditioning and heating systems inside and out. They’ll take the time to study your home, understand your cooling and heating requirements, show you all of your options and assist you with finding the quality home comfort system that best meets your family’s needs and budget.
Additional Information from Horizon Services…
- Save Energy by Unplugging Household Devices and Appliances
- 7 Things in Your House That Could Explode
- Horizon Air Conditioning Services
- Horizon Plumbing Services
- Horizon Drain Cleaning Services
- Horizon Sewer & Water Line Replacement Services