Deciding To Replace Your HVAC Equipment
Are you frustrated with the performance of your current heating and air-conditioning system? Have you held off on getting your system repaired because it needs extensive work? Are your energy bills consistently high, no matter how much you try to conserve? If so, it may be time to upgrade to an entirely new HVAC system, but how can you tell when your home needs a new heating and air-conditioning system? Are there specific features you should look for when choosing your new model?
Is It Time To Replace Your System?
Generally, you should replace your home’s air-conditioner if your current system is at least twelve years old. The federal government recommends this rule of thumb so that homeowners will purchase a system that features the most recent energy efficient technology. The same rule applies to heat pumps and also to furnaces and boilers. According to the government, homeowners should consider replacing all these when they are at least 15 years old or more.
What if your system is not quite this old but it still performs poorly? Naturally, you can replace your heating and air-conditioning system whenever you like. However, if you are trying to save money by avoiding unnecessary repair bills, have your system inspected by a qualified HVAC technician. A qualified HVAC technician can tell if you the heating and cooling issues are a result of your system, poor ductwo or weather-stripping failures. You may be able to fix some of your energy issues by simply sealing ducts and caulking cracks in the door and window frames.
Selecting A New Model
What if you are ready to buy a new HVAC system? There are many different brands available to choose from, but you should be prepared narrow your choices down to models that feature the yellow “Energy Star” label. These systems meet the federal government standard for energy efficiency and can offer annual savings of up to $200 on utility bills.
There are other features to look for, including a programmable thermostat and a filter check light. A programmable thermostat makes it easy to set the indoor temperature at a moderate level when you are away during the day. This option alone can help to keep your energy bills at a reasonable level, since you will not be using unnecessary heating and cooling when you are not home. A filter check light is an optional feature that notifies you when it is time to check the air filter. Replacing these filters regularly helps keep the system run more efficiently.
Choosing The Right HVAC Contractor!
Once you have settled on the best system for your home, take some time to choose the right HVAC contractor to install it. Choosing the right HVAC contractor can mean the difference between an installation of your heating and air conditioning system that goes smoothly and provides years of trouble-free comfort and one that winds up costing you thousand in wasted money and aggravation.
Before you search for a contractor, you must do some homework about your specific job. Your goal isn’t to become a technical expert, but you want to learn enough to ask the right questions and evaluate the answers. And, before you make a final decision make sure to ask these 10 basic questions:
- How long has the company been in business?
- How many certified service technicians and installation technicians does the company have?
- Is the company a member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau?
- Has the company received awards in the community for outstanding service in plumbing, heating and air conditioning?
- Is the company available nights and weekends with call takers and technicians to handle any service calls or emergencies?
- Does the company have proof of adequate liability insurance?
- Does the company provide workers’ compensation insurance?
- Does the company drug test and background check all employees before hiring them and continue with random tests throughout their employment?
- Does the company have all necessary state and local licenses to perform the appropriate work?
- Can the company provide me with a list of references for the work I am planning to have done?
Contact Horizon Services
So, are you ready to install or replace a furnace? Our friendly and experienced team of Comfort Specialists knows all about furnaces. They’ll take the time to study your home, understand your requirements, show you all of your options and assist you with finding the quality home comfort system that best meets your family’s needs and budget.
For more information, visit our Installation and Replacement section!
Additional Information from Horizon Services…
- Save Money and Extend Equipment Life With Yearly Maintenance
- Extend the Life of Your HVAC Equipment with Proper Maintenance
- How do I Know Which HVAC System is Right for my Home?
- Is Your Home Suffering from Hot Flashes?