Uncover Plumbing Problems With This Checklist
With regular maintenance, your home’s plumbing system can keep working well year-round. Staying on top of the plumbing in your house doesn’t take much time and minor repairs are relatively inexpensive. Use our professional grade checklist to check for things you may be able to fix on your own, or to know when to call in a professional before small problems become big headaches.
• Check fixtures for leaks. It doesn’t take much water to cause damage, not to mention the hundreds of gallons of water a leaking faucet or showerhead can waste.
• Keep drains clear. Spending a little time on drain cleaning will help prevent leaks and structural damage in the bathroom. Pull hair and other debris out of shower and sink drains by hand or drain snake, or use a natural solution whenever you notice drains are slower than usual.
• Check faucet aerators for calcium and mineral buildup. This can restrict the flow of water, affecting water pressure and forcing you to use more water than normal. Aerators are easy to remove—just unscrew the faucet cap—and clean them with a soft brush or cloth, mild soap, and water.
• Repair running toilets. Over time, the working parts can wear out and break down, which can cause the toilet to run. It might not seem like a big deal, but a running toilet can waste a ton of water (and cost you a ton of money). Parts are cheap and easily found at any hardware store so it’s well worth the time and effort to fix this problem.
• Check sinks for leaks. The sink is one of the hardest workers in the kitchen and leaks can happen anywhere: at the faucet, at the sprayer, at the strainer, at the garbage disposal, or from any other sink accessories. Be sure to check under the sink for signs of water damage as well.
• Take care of the garbage disposal. If your sink has one, be sure you’re following the manufacturer’s guidelines or you could end up with a leak or a malfunctioning unit.
• Clean out the sink drain. If you’d rather not use a chemical cleaner in the kitchen, consider a homemade drain cleaning solution. You can find many recipes online.
Septic and Sewer System
• Be vigilant about maintaining your home’s septic system. The last thing you want is the hassle of a septic problem, so use an enzyme additive regularly and schedule professional inspections at least once a year.
• Maintain the sewer main. You can prevent main line blockages with regular maintenance like snaking and tree root removal. Consult a professional if you suspect a problem with your home’s sewer main.
Contact Horizon Services
With over 20 years of service experience, we have helped thousands of homeowners in the Delaware, Southeastern Pennsylvania, and Maryland areas with their plumbing needs. Our team of plumbing professionals consists of some of the most experienced and most qualified plumbers working today in the Delaware Valley. These are top-notch plumbing technicians who can accurately diagnose and quickly fix any and all plumbing problems. Plumbing emergencies are our specialty!